• Welcome to itatonline.org Forum.

Madras High Court judge denied entry to cricket association for wearing dhoti

Started by shobha nagrani, July 13, 2014, 09:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shobha nagrani

CHENNAI: It could go down as the worst publicity for dhoti, considered a 'national attire' in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. A sitting judge of the Madras high court was denied entry into the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association Club at Chepauk on Friday. Reason: He was wearing a dhoti.

When Justice D Hariparanthaman alighted from his red beacon-flashing official car at the club premises to participate in a book release function organized by a former high court judge, he was least prepared for the 'reception', sources told The Times of India.

When TOI contacted, Justice Hariparanthaman confirmed the incident and said: "Former acting chief justice of the Madras high court Justice T S Arunachalam authored a book — 'Legal Fraternity Embraced Me'. Former chief justice of the Gujarat high court Justice Gokula Krishnan released it and former Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh high court Justice R Ratnam received the first copy. I was invited. I went to the venue at 5.25pm. I wore dhoti and shirt. I was denied entry saying unless I wear pants, I could not be permitted entry."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Chennai-club-turns-away-judge-for-wearing-dhoti/articleshow/38225698.cms

A Judge of Madras High Court, who was denied entry into Tamil Nadu Cricket Association Club here for wearing dhoti, the traditional attire of Tamil Nadu, today said it was unfortunate that dress code prescribed by British rulers was being followed in clubs even after independence.

When Justice D Hariparanthaman alighted from his official car at the club premises to participate in a book release function organised by TS Arunachalam, a former Chief Justice of the High Court, some staff of the club told him that he could not enter the premises wearing a dhoti.

They told him that they had instructions from the office-bearers not to allow anyone in the premises who violated the club's dress code.

Protesting the way in which the club treated invitees, Justice Hariparanthaman said in a statement that "dress code was introduced by British rulers in clubs started by them. It is very unfortunate that even after independence only the same dress code continued and our traditional dress is prohibited."

"It is not the first occasion where clubs denied entry to persons for violating dress code. Even former Supreme Court Judge Justice VR Krishna Iyer was denied entry in 1980s in the Gymkhana Club here, who wrote a protest note in the guest book", Justice Hariparanthaman said in the statement.

The book release function was held at club for which Justice Hariparanthaman was an invitee. Former Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court Justice Gokula Krishnan released the book and former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court Justice R Rathnam received the first copy.

Senior advocate of Madras High Court R Gandhi and GR Swaminathan, an advocate of Madurai High Court, were also denied entry to the function for wearing dhoti.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-madras-high-court-judge-denied-entry-to-cricket-association-for-wearing-dhoti-2001760